Academic Catalog

Admissions Policies & Procedures


Sitting Bull College maintains an "open" door admissions policy. Any person who is a graduate of an accredited high school or has their GED certificate may be admitted to SBC.


If an applicant for admission is not a current high school student, a graduate of an accredited high school or has not received a GED certificate, the applicant is eligible to enroll for one semester in up to eight credit hours with a course requirement of PSYC 100 First Year Learning Experience for three of the eight credits, providing they have successfully completed three of the four official GED tests. However, the applicant will be required to work with the GED Director on obtaining a GED by the end of the semester. Students are not eligible to enroll a second semester until proof of GED completion is submitted to the Registrar's office.

Dual Enrollment

High school sophomores, juniors and seniors may apply for admission to take 100 level classes. These students are not seeking dual credit. A high school sophomore, junior or senior will not be allowed to enroll in any developmental course with the exception of Math 102 Intermediate Algebra.

Dual Credit

The fifty-fifth legislative assembly of the State of North Dakota passed senate bill number 2033 at the 1997 session. The bill allows juniors and seniors in North Dakota's public schools to take courses offered by an approved post-secondary institution for both high school and post-secondary credit. The program provides students with a greater variety of class offerings and the opportunity to pursue more challenging course work.

Enrollment Policy for Dual Enrollment and Credit

  1. Students must complete an application for enrollment at SBC
  2. Students must take the ACCUPLACER and score at or above the established cut scores for Composition (ENGL 110 Composition I) and Math (MATH 102 Intermediate Algebra) in order to enroll in classes.
  3. The program will allow students to enroll in only 100 level courses.
  4. The students will only be allowed to enroll in a maximum of two courses or eight credit hours per semester.
  5. The students will pay the same fees as a regular student.
  6. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the college.
  7. Enrollment of a high school student cannot displace regular student enrollment. Example: The Building Trades program has limited enrollment in some courses.
  8. Each high school must appoint a liaison to work with SBC.
  9. Follow SBC policies for on-line courses.

Under Exceptions and Special Conditions, credits do not become official college credits until the student has submitted proof of graduation from high school or completion of GED.

Admission Procedure

Students applying for admission to SBC must submit the following documentation to the Registrar:

  1. Application for Admissions.
  2. Transcripts:
    1. New students must submit an official high school transcripts or GED certificate/GED transcript.
    2. Non-degree seeking students must submit either official high school transcripts, GED certificate/GED transcript, or official transcripts of the last degree received.
    3. Transfer students must have an official copy of their transcript(s) from previously attended college(s) sent directly to the registrar’s office at Sitting Bull College.
  3. All Native American students must submit an official verification of tribal enrollment to the Registrar.
  4. If applicable, Native American students not enrolled in a federally recognized tribe must submit an official verification of tribal enrollment of one of their parents.
  5. Per state, federal, and Internal Revenue Service guidelines, Sitting Bull College is required to verify Social Security Numbers (SSN) and Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) annually for accurate tax reporting on 1098-T forms. Having an accurate SSN/ITIN on tax forms supports the tax deduction that a student or family may claim for qualified educational expenses on both federal and state income tax returns.

Note: A hold will be placed on a student’s academic record if all documentation is not in their file at the end of the first semester of enrollment.

Special Admissions Requirement

The following programs of study have special admissions requirements:

  • CDL/Heavy Equipment Operation – drug test/random drug testing
  • Early Childhood Education – criminal history check (no convictions involving children)
  • Teacher Education/Elementary Education/Secondary Science Education – criminal history check (no convictions involving children)
  • Practical Nursing – criminal history check, physical, and current immunization
  • Social Work – criminal history check

No Show Policy

A student who does not attend any classes within the first three weeks of the fall/spring semester or the first week of the summer session shall be considered a “no show” and 100% tuition and fees refund will be issued.

The student will be billed a “no show” fee of $10.00 per course, registration fee ($25), and the total cost of purchases made at the SBC Bookstore. Students may return books up to four weeks from the start of classes if the books have not been written in or if the books are still enclosed in the shrink wrap in which they were shipped.

Office of the Registrar

The Admissions/Registrar's Office maintains the following records:

  1. Admission forms: SBC application, certificate of degree of Indian blood, high school/college transcripts or GED transcript, disclosure of directory information, drug/alcohol policy form, and VA documents.
  2. Permanent Academic Records: unofficial transcript and completed add/drop forms.

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

Sitting Bull College adheres to a policy of compliances with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974. The definition of this Amendment is as follows:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

  • Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.
  • Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading. If the school decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student then has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.
  • Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):
    • School officials with legitimate educational interest;
    • Other schools to which a student is transferring;
    • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
    • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
    • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
    • Accrediting organizations;
    • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
    • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

Schools may disclose, without consent, "directory" information such as a student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards, and dates of attendance. However, schools must tell parents and eligible students about directory information and allow parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them. Schools must notify parents and eligible students annually of their rights under FERPA. The actual means of notification (special letter, inclusion in a PTA bulletin, student handbook, or newspaper article) is left to the discretion of each school.

For additional information, you may call 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327) (voice). Individuals who use TDD may use the Federal Relay Service.

Or you may contact us at the following address:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-8520

Academic Advisement

Each student is assigned a faculty advisor upon enrollment at SBC. In most cases, the advisor will be an instructor in the student's specific area of study. First-time degree seeking students are required to meet with a Freshman Advisor.

The advisor assists in proper course selection to meet curricular requirements and helps students avoid errors in scheduling. However, students have the final responsibility for satisfying the degree requirements for the curriculum chosen and the college’s general education requirements.

Registration Procedures

During registration week, representatives from the Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid Office, Business Office, Counseling Office, and all academic/career and technical education departments are available for consultation. With the assistance of these individuals, students must complete the following steps in order to register for classes:

Returning or Continuing Students

  1. Obtain registration materials from the Registrar’s Office.
  2. See Accounts Receivable Technician to determine debt status.
  3. See Financial Aid Office to finalize financial aid paperwork.
  4. Meet with Academic/Career and Technical Education Advisor for scheduling assistance and approval. First-time degree seeking students are required to meet with a Freshman Advisor.
  5. Obtain Student ID Card/E-Mail Address. Replacement cards will cost $5.00 payable at the time of the request.
  6. Return all registration material to the Registrar’s Office.
  7. Go to Bookstore and acquire the necessary texts and materials.

New Students

  1. Check in at registration table to start registration process.
  2. See Financial Aid Office to arrange for financial assistance. Students are encouraged to complete their financial aid applications prior to enrolling or as soon as possible thereafter.
  3. See the Office of Student Services if do not have GED to arrange for completion.
  4. See the Office of Student Services to arrange for completion of the ACCUPLACER test if not done previously.
  5. Consult with Academic/Career and Technical Education Advisor in their field of interest or major scholastic area for scheduling assistance and approval.
  6. Obtain Student ID Card/E-Mail Address. Replacement cards will cost $5.00 payable at the time of the request.
  7. Return all registration materials to the Registrar’s Officer.
  8. Go to Bookstore and acquire the necessary texts and materials.


The Office of Student Services will test all new degree seeking students, with the exception of the one semester certificate seeking students.

Students will be administered the ACCUPLACER test in English, writing, reading, and math proficiency to determine the proper placement of students in Math and Composition courses. The information derived from the test will be used to assess which courses will be mandatory for the students to assure academic success. Students will not be denied admission to the college on the basis of ACCUPLACER score results.

Students who do not score at the established cut scores for English and Math on the ACCUPLACER will be required to enroll in the respective 099 Developmental course(s).

Transfer student who have completed college level Math or English with a letter grade of C or better will not be required to complete the ACCUPLACER test.

New Student Orientation

Orientation for new students is mandatory and will be completed on the second week of classes and is facilitated by the instructor for the First Year Learning Experience class. Orientation is designed to make the adjustment to college life a pleasant experience. Orientation will acquaint new students with various offices and services, policies and procedures, and introduce students to the SBC Bulletin, as well as Financial Aid procedures and deadlines. Students will also learn to navigate their college email and MySBC. During orientation students will meet with the faculty in their chosen area of study. Students will be asked to answer questions throughout the orientation and will complete a survey to help the college refine the orientation process.

Changes in Registration

First Week

Adding or dropping a course must be completed during the first week of classes. Students who make any changes in their class schedule during the first week of classes need to first consult with his/her advisor. After the first week, the process for withdrawing from or adding a course has further requirements (see Withdrawal Policy).


Throughout the semester, specialized courses may be offered. Students will be allowed to register for these classes with the approval of their advisor and the Vice-President of Academics. They must also meet with the Financial Aid Director for billing purposes. However, a student who drops a course and falls below the 12 credits required to keep their educational funding may not register for a specialized course unless it is part of their degree plan and approved by their advisor and Vice-President of Academics.

Classification of Students

Full-time - A student must enroll in at least 12 credits. Full-time is 6 credits for Summer enrollment. Masters-level students must enroll in at least 9 credits to be full-time.

Part-time - A student enrolled in 11 or less credits. Part-time summer enrollment consists of 5 or less credits.

Freshman – Students who have accumulated 30 credits or less.

Sophomore – Students who have accumulated between 31 to 60 credits.

Junior – Students who have accumulated between 61 to 90 credits.

Senior – Students who have accumulated over 90 credits.

Graduate – Students who have been accepted into Master’s Degree programs.

Non-Degree – Students who are taking classes but not intending to complete a degree at SBC.

First Time Freshman – Students who have never before attended college.

First Generation – Students whose parents have not graduated from a four-year college or university.